Friday, November 20, 2009

Shedding Some [Twi]light on the Edward Cullen Craze

Let me be the first to say that there is no way in Bella Swan's version-of-hell-without-Edward Cullen that the Twilight saga would ever be considered a literary masterpiece. According to the vampire and Gothic experts in my English program, the Twilight vampires defeat the entire purpose(s) for the existence of these mythical creatures, and I myself have been able to put the books down and walk away for weeks or months at a time, and that's really not saying much, coming from a Rhetoric/Composition lover. All the Stephenie Meyer bashing aside, the point of the blog is this: give Twilight fans a frickin' break.

Exhibit A: This was a status from a male Facebook friend-"Don't worry girls, in a few weeks when you realize that you aren't really a part of anyone's "team", that some of you are bitchy-not a sweet girl named Bella, and that yet again you have bought-in to a book that targets the emotions of a 7th grade girl, all of the guys you'll really want to marry one day will be standing in reality, waiting on your return. We won't even tell you, 'We told you so..' "

This same gentleman had posted a picture of a "Naughty Nurse" Halloween Costume with the caption "I forgot how much I love Halloween. Mmm...ha" prior to his Twilight post. I am in no way knocking this guy because I understand his frustration. I have felt this same frustration when I've seen internet postings/overheard conversations about guys ogling women with the assets of Megan Fox and her progeny. None of my friends, as gorgeous as they are, will ever look like the Megan Fox types unless they spend everyday with a trainer and a personal chef, getting paid big bucks to do it, and as a last resort having the benefit of an airbrush or graphic artist manipulating their Facebook photos when mother nature hiccuped. The bottom line is this: we all have unrealistic expectations when it comes to what we look for in the opposite sex.

I think that for girls--especially young girls my sister's age--high expectations for the man you want to ultimately be with can be good. Sure, it would be absurd if a man like Edward were the end-all be-all for a woman my age, but what's wrong with presenting young tween and teenage girls a picture of how a man should love and respect a woman? Nobody I know is throwing a fit over the Biblical portrayal of love/relationships from Song of Solomon or even Christ's love for his church. I know that nobody will ever love me like Jesus, nor will I ever be able to sacrifice for anyone the way he sacrificed for me, but that doesn't stop me from having relationships or loving.

Girls love Edward Cullen because he's mature (Your boyfriend would be too if he were a century or two old), he doesn't push his boundaries when it comes to sex, he puts Bella's comfort and safety before all else, he has a close-knit family, his appearance is absolutely stunning, and he would rather die at the hands of the Volturi than to live without the woman he loves ("you're my own personal brand of heroin"--the cheesiest line of all time, but you get the point). What's not to love?!

Even Jacob Black isn't a bad guy to have in your corner. He steps in to love Bella when Edward is gone, he fights to protect her from impending danger, his dad and Bella's dad are old, close friends, and he also is stunning and strong. Again, what's not to love?!

I've found myself sighing a little and getting wide-eyed when I see Rob Pattinson or Taylor Lautner on screen, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have my own flesh and blood Sean Day, and I'm sure other women would too (or their own Drews/Matts/Jakes/Jamies/Adams/Neals, because nobody better try to take my man, just saying). Sean can make me laugh like nobody can, he gives the best hugs, and nothing makes me happier than when he tells me he loves me (Sean, please don't kill me for destroying your street cred. You are a badass to the core.). We Edward/Jacob-lovers KNOW the difference between fantasy and reality, and all the complaints about girls who love Twilight, blah blah, beg the question "Do YOU?"

I personally don't care if you love the Twilight saga or you swore your allegiance to Harry Potter back in 2007 and refuse to get off your Nimbus 2000 and give vampires a chance. I just hoped to shed a little [Twi]light on the Edward Cullen Craze and why girls go gaga for a blood-thirsty monster. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

After all, the Volturi are watching...





2 comments:

Tara said...

P, you are a badass.
Even though I really don't enjoy the books that much,I wish more guys would take a lesson or two from Edward...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.