Yes folks, it's that time of the week that I decide to prolong the inevitable i.e., sleeping only to wake up, writing a memo, etc., and stay up til an ungodly hour and blog.
I enjoy the Facebook group "You Might Be In Law School If..." cause it's hilarious and en pointe. My favorite "You Might Be..." is "You can’t remember if you decided to come to law school because you wanted to help people and make a difference in the world or because you hate yourself." Eight weeks ago I was hoping for liberty and justice for all. Now I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as liberty, and justice for all? Well, you optimists, you can forgettaboutit. Parties lose lawsuits on mere technicalities. The bench sometimes interprets statutes to their own liking. Such facts have led me to the conclusion that life isn't fair. I'm also much less sympathetic to others than I used to be. Like yesterday, I heard on the radio that some man got shot 5 times by a tow-truck driver over his refusal to move his car at an apartment complex or something or other. Instead of shaking my head in disbelief at "people these days" I found myself thinking about respondeat superior and wondering if the man's family would have a claim against the towing company for the actions of their driver. Hmmm.
Since becoming a law student, I find I pop pills and consume alcoholic beverages like none other. Ok, there are others way worse than I am, but I never used to take Tylenol PM/Excedrin Tension Headache/Iburpofen all in a given week just to function, nor did I ever have to count the number of glasses of wine or Blue Moons I drank in a given week and enter it into a database to see if I had a problem. Ok, maybe that's a little extreme, but you get the point; I'm exhausted but I'm too wound up to go to sleep, I'm so tired I'm nauseated, the list goes on and on. Yes, I'm praying about this and reciting Bible verses to get me through the day. Please don't judge me for drinking alcohol sometimes. Or for trafficking illegal drugs and supplying weapons to minors.
I still can't keep up with everyone I love so much. I forget who I've talked to, who I've told what, and I just can't keep it all together. For anybody who's reading this and cares, please be patient with me. I'm doing the best I can, and yes, the "best I can" also includes taking time for myself to write creatively/Facebook stalk/watch tv/make new friends in Memphis/have a ridiculously good-looking boyfriend. I miss my peeps, but I can't let this part of my life pass me by for fear that I'm gonna break your heart if we're not on the phone 24/7. Friends back home, I love you, but this is hard on me too. Perhaps one day the old Amy will return! Well, she never really left but, you get the picture.
So much more I could say, but alas, my head is hurting and I need to sleep so I can knock out the rest of this memo and some contracts homework tomorrow.
I also think there's an ambulance outside that needs chasing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment