Sunday, August 10, 2008

Walkin' in Memphis: The First Time's a Charm(er)

Oh Memphis. I think I love you.

So after pretty much a full week of TV watching and pajama wearing, I managed to get my lazy rear off the couch, into real clothes, and out and about. I have to give a big thanks to Miss Erica Bone for taking me to an awesome 80s party at one of our sorority sister's houses and then letting me hang around with her and her boyfriend and his Med School friends. It was a blast.

I think I love people who love science because they are way fun. Those Med kids know how to throw down. After playing a highly competitive game of Catch Phrase in this guy's sweet downtown apartment, we headed to Beale Street, which was overwhelming and wonderful all at the same time. The entire street is blocked off from traffic and lined with all sorts of people, but the good thing is there's plenty of security and you have to show ID to even get on the street. You do have to watch though because young guys try to grab your arm when you walk down the street for some odd reason, so ladies, ignore what Beyonce and Destiny's Child told you and DON'T leave your men at home. Back on track now. We went to a place called Silky O'Sullivans, which is this massive open-air place with dualing pianos inside and a live band outside and about 4 different bars. It was unlike anything The Strip in Knoxville has to offer! We did some dancing outside, which was awesome, save for having to dance with a creepy guy named Mike from Michigan (lately I've been getting hit on by the creepiest creeps around, and they're all named Mike, which is just weird since my Dad's name is Mike, only he's a very kind and decent gentleman). Luckily, awesome Med school guy Jonathan from Wake Forest rescued me and that was a ton of fun. We finally rolled out at about 3 am and headed back to our cars. I got to see plenty of trollies and carriages and swanky little restaurants and homeless people sleeping on heating grates. It was awesome.

So here I am now, almost 2 pm, still in glasses and pajamas because I've only been awake and coherent for about an hour, after having crazy dreams about my mom trying to sabotage my dating life by telling guys that I only liked gay men. I'm also incredibly hoarse after yelling about how much I love Medical School and Science. Too bad I chose to study law. Ha.

1 comment:

Tara said...

So now you finally realize how awesome the science people are.

Bite me, betch