Friday, August 8, 2008

Well, here I am again, in my pjs by 7:30 watching What Not to Wear. The good news is, having so much free time pretty much forces me to do necessary things, like exercise and take a multi-vitamin (yes Tara, I said multi-vitamin). I've also been driven to the point of checking things of my To-Do list, like write thank you notes and make phone calls to the insurance place and the doctor (although my phone calling efforts have been thwarted by my screwy cell). On the down side, having so much free time and no responsibility yet means I sleep way too late, shower only when necessary, and spend a ridiculous amount of time Facebooking. I am kind of learning to do grown-up things, like cook balanced meals and do laundry and stuff. Of course, I'm already tired of doing grown-up things, so I just stay in my pajamas and stare into the pantry and whine like a puppy. That was probably more than anyone wanted to know.

I am incredibly excited about starting school soon! For the first time in oh, about two years, I'm ready to be a little more academically competitive and focused. Don't get me wrong; I still did well back on good ole Rocky Top, but I was more focused on being a good EVP/Sigma Kappa member/OL, and I spent my free time being social, for the most part. Going into law school, I feel like I need to prove myself. My LSAT score was less than stellar, and to (loosely) quote my mother, "the Lord must've wanted you there because really, you shouldn't be there". I keep thinking I'm behind since I skipped so many assignments during my senior year (I said "no thanks" to David Copperfield and relied on cutesy comments in class to earn my participation points) and I have dreamt at least three times in the past few weeks that I show up to class late, without my books or a completed homeword assignment. Surely I can change my ways. Surely.

Although initially I was bummed about not getting to stay at UT for school, I feel like I'll have more freedom and fewer distractions in Memphis. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get anything that requires quiet and concentration done in my house, and I know I would be tempted to hang out with friends when I should be studying. It would be hard to say no to UT Football and babysitting and doing Sigma K alum things, but here, the football isn't worth watching, no one knows I'm the best babysitter ever, and I won't be able to crash any date parties and/or formals. And luckily, so far with the move, it's been easier not to think about some things/people that had been distracting me and invading my thoughts for the last little while.

I just wanna be no-nonsense the next three years. More. than. anything.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Now I'm going to ask the important question...
What kind of multi-vitamin?